In this episode, Dave is excited to welcome Mike Goncalves. Mike is the founder of The Wellness Bucket, a business dedicated to helping entrepreneurs to be physically, mentally, and spiritually fit. The Wellness Bucket system leverages exercise to help entrepreneurs push past their limiting beliefs, fears, and self-doubt in order to achieve and succeed in both health and entrepreneurship.
Through the Wellness Bucket, Mike has created a global community of entrepreneurs committed to help each other with their health and businesses. And Mike embodies everything he teaches. He has a Masters degree in sports medicine. He is a marathoner and ultra marathoner He speaks at numerous events throughout the year teaching people how exercise has a direct impact on their success.
Exercise and good health is such an important part of success as an entrepreneur and after meeting Mike and seeing his passion for bringing exercise and entrepreneurship together, Dave knew he had to have him on the show.
Make sure to get Mike's free gift to you, Misfit Nation, a 15 minute entrepreneur workout you can do anywhere!
Mike always gravitated toward exercise and fitness. It is his passion. He has owned brick and mortar businesses helping people reach their fitness goals, but it was after having to move from San Diego to Boston and leave his main business in San Diego that he came up with the idea for the Wellness Bucket. His goal was to be able to help people from wherever he was in the world achieve their fitness goals and create a better life.
Now, Mike has both a traditional fitness training business and the Wellness Bucket and it helping more people than ever.
At the 5:50 mark, Mike talks about the blind faith, curiosity, and fear that he went through in creating his first business and how that led to the creation of what he does now. He talks about how curiosity helps lead to taking action.
At the 8:30 mark, Mike talks about the correlation between fitness and entrepreneurship and how your health directly impacts your career.
How does an entrepreneur find the balance between work commitments and prioritizing their health?
Over 17 years, Mike has seen patterns that lead to good consistent fitness routines, and he breaks it down into 4 specific things:
In the end it comes down to choice and the choices you make determine your life.
At the 20 min mark, Mike gives an example of how working with someone to implement a fitness program centered on them and helping them perform at a higher level in their business paid off.
“How and what we think will dictate what we do and what we do will dictate our results.”
What have you learned about entrepreneurs and success in working with so many over the years?
The 40% rule. Keep your cup 40% full and keep the other 60% for yourself – family, fitness, personal growth, life aspirations.
The top entrepreneurs make themselves and their relationships a priority They fall off track like anyone, but they are good at recognizing and getting back on track as fast as possible.
Why should we embrace competing against ourselves?
The person we should be competing against is ourselves. This how you find mastery by striving to be better than yourself yesterday. Can you give a little bit more? When you compete against yourself daily, you feel better. You are more inspired to do better and grow.
What did you learn from your biggest setback to date as an entrepreneur?
Fear has held him back and he has fallen into the trap of chasing the money and fame and not making a difference. He failed hard. If you want to be truly successful all around, shoot to make a difference first, make a dollar second. When it comes to fear, realize that it is temporary. He let a failure and the fear from it sideline him for 2 years and lost 2 years’ worth of opportunity that he did not have to.
What advice do you have for an entrepreneur starting out online today?
Best Quote; "We are our greatest asset. If we are not at our best, we cannot expect others around us and that we lead to be at their best.”
Mike's Misfit 3: