Hello Misfit Nation! Welcome to another edition of "Lessons for Hannah!" Many years ago, I introduced a new format that alongside our regular episodes called “Lessons for Hannah.” Hannah is my daughter and one of the main inspirations for the Misfit Entrepreneur. I wanted to have a place where she could go and learn from her daddy and his Misfit friends throughout her life….even after I am gone. If you haven’t listened to the first episode of "Lessons for Hannah," I urge you to as it gives some more background and tells the amazing story of how Hannah came to be in our lives.
Lessons for Hannah are short, very useful, and sometimes comical lessons, that I want to share with you and give to Hannah to help in your lives. Because I want Hannah to have these for her life, I’m going to speak as though I am talking directly to her. These episodes are a lot of fun and if you think there is a lesson that we should include in these episodes, please don’t hesitate to send it over to us at email@example.com. We’d love to share it.
This week’s Lesson for Hannah
Hannah, Between this Lessons for Hannah and the next one, you will turn 9 years old. Nine! It feels like it was just yesterday that I held you for the first time and saw your first smile. Time goes so fast, and you wake up one day and your baby has grown into an amazing little girl who is already making her impact on the world. Hannah, you have impacted your mother and I in so many ways (most of them good, ha ha) and I wanted to take this time to give you 9 ways you are amazing as you turn 9 years old. Here goes.
- You have a beautiful and caring heart and are not afraid to show your love to all those around you. You are always there to put a smile on our face or give us one of your little notes telling us how much you love us. Never stop doing this.
- You have a mischievous side that keeps you active, and yes sometimes get you into trouble, but keeps you curious and learning – and keeps us on out toes. Although, it sometimes frustrates me, this quality will prove so useful during your life. Never stop being curious or learning.
- I love, love, love the sense of humor you have developed. It’s witty, yet sometimes sarcastic, but always playful. You’ve even started talking in movie lines like your crazy dad and mom do way too much. (Also, the occasional quote from The Office)
- You are also strong, not just physically (amazingly, at 9 years old, you are just about a black belt), but also in the way you approach life. This isn’t surprising – you have always been strong and brave since the moment I first held you.
- You have a talent for music and continue to grow and increase your abilities every day. I don’t say it as much as I should, but I love hearing you sing while playing piano or your Ukulele.
- You are very comfortable in your own skin and being by yourself. You can keep yourself busy for hours and are independent in your way. Many people afraid to be by themselves and face who they are. You do it every day and can with ease because of your good heart and curiosity for the world around you.
- You are very giving. How often do you whip out your little wallet and offer to pay for something like groceries or want to give to one of your family members? It’s like 10 times a week. And of course, even though you persist, I have to explain that you do not have to buy our groceries, but the act of giving and helping others is inherent in you and I love that you want to and are always look for ways to help.
- You are personable. While you are very comfortable being on your own, you are also great with others and easily can adapt to new people and become fast friends. You can walk into a room full of people you’ve never met, and within a short time, almost everyone will know you and like you. This is just part of who you are – never lose it.
- Lastly, you are an amazing blessing to your mother and I and all those you come in contact with. You are an incredible daughter, granddaughter, friend, cousin, sister to your puppies, and a bright light of goodness in this world.
Hannah, I could keep listing ways you are amazing, but you’ve got a lot more birthdays ahead of you and I need to save a few to add to this list each year. Just know that your mother and I, family, friends, etc. love you, are proud of you, and are so lucky to have your impact in our lives. Happy 9th birthday!
I love you,
Best Quote: Many people afraid to be by themselves and face who they are. You do it every day and can with ease because of your good heart and curiosity for the world around you.
- Keep growing, learning, and being true to yourself.
- Never stop doing to little things for those you love and showing you care.
- The willingness to give to others is a wonderful quality. Never lose it.
www.Ink.com/misfit (all lowercase)
Five Minute Journal