This week’s Misfit Entrepreneur is Mike Moll. Simply put, Mike is a marketing expert with a special focus on helping entrepreneurs build systems that create time freedom. He built a fully remote company in 2013 and then has replicated that in helping hundreds of other companies charge what they are worth and free up the entrepreneur in their business.
Through his company, MarketMe, he’s worked with everyone from Trends to AppSumo and regularly speaks on how to build effective and successful marketing systems. I’ve asked him to come on and share his best strategies and advice on how to create better marketing systems in your business.
@TheMikeMoll on Instagram
Mike was not a great student. He felt that everything he was doing was wrong and questioned if he was smart or not. He started making money early in life, working 25 hours a week even in high school. He went to college, and it didn’t last. He was on academic probation within a year and ultimately left. He did a bunch of odd jobs in things likes breakdancing, Bingo caller, and then did some sales roles. He felt he needed to grow up and get a real job, so he got into insurance and did it for 6 years.
In his 6th year, he had a complete nervous breakdown. He was doing well financial, had a company car, etc., but he was not happy. He knew things had to change. His family and life at the time told him he had to find something else. Two weeks later he left and was unemployed with no plan. He started a software company out of his house and as he says, “That caught him up on everything he had not learned and needed to learn about life and business.” He pivoted a year in and turned it into a marketing agency. That is where found his calling and groove to doing what he is today.
What is your business today?
- When he first started, he was selling advertising and google ads for clients.
- Now, he does lead generation for service companies through Facebook, google, and other mediums.
- He also coaches marketers “helping Mike from 7 years ago.”
- The agency has a team in place the operates without him having to be there.
- The coaching side is where Mike spends his individual time.
What is the most important piece of a good marketing strategy?
- A very clear vision of who you work with and what you do for them.
- People buy when the feel understood – not when the understand you. Narrow things down and speak to people.
- I help “X” group of people” achieve “Y” by doing “Z”
- Really defining that and understand the specific person you are selling to is the focus.
- If you don’t know how to speak to the needs and challenges of your customer, you cannot succeed.
What is the best way refine and state how you help clients?
- The key is to not be afraid and not there is a big enough market for just about everything.
- Getting a certain type of business in front of a local audience. A service in a specific town or city is easier than national.
- Niching is the best place to go to work and help clients – you’ll be surprised at how much business there is for you.
Any other elements of a great marketing strategy?
- Where people go wrong is to go bigger and flashier than they need to be and try to be everywhere all at once.
- Find that one channel first to focus on. One market channel should bring you 80% of your customers.
- You can’t be good at everything.
- Unless you have the budget to hire expertise in all areas, it is a waste of your time and money.
- You will have to determine what works for you.
- Use Google Tag manager on your website.
- Great solution called CallRail that dynamically adapts to the lead by source.
What should we know about Google Ads?
- They are not for everyone.
- 70% of businesses are a good fit, about 30% are not.
- Many times, what people search to find you are not what you think.
- Google Ads work well for service, Ecom businesses, etc.
- Google makes it seem like they are very friendly, but their “easy to use” system wastes a lot of money for clients.
- Do not use the default “google AdWords express.” You want to use “Expert Mode.”
- When you put your keywords in, you need to take control and make sure that specifics need to be in the search for your ad to show up.
At the 26 min mark, Mike answers the question, How do you generate high converting leads with one single message?
- You should have an individual sales or landing page for everything you offer. It should never go to a website.
- Be focused and obvious about you being the solution to their problem on a specific page.
- Then you have to think about what that person needs to do to get the finish line with you.
- Make sure they are in the right place with the “who and do what statement.”
- You need to show you know what you are doing with social proof like testimonials.
- Then you reinforce they are in the right place by confirming what they care about.
- Then a call to action. On that page there should be nothing else, but the way to move forward.
How does someone automate things to free themselves up in the business?
- You cannot do this until you’ve nailed the product and pricing in the business.
- Your product must be positioned and priced the right way to turn it into a business.
- Once you’ve got things right, you can hire or outsource for what is needed.
- You then need to build out your systems and processes for people to follow.
- Make a list of every step that needs to be done in every area of your business and then explain it in a way that someone who has no knowledge can understand.
- Put the processes into a slide deck and record a video of how to do the process.
Best Quote: If you don’t know how to speak to the needs and challenges of your customer, you cannot succeed.
Mike's Misfit 3:
- Start building relationships with people who are at your next level by giving away your time and expertise for free.
- Take action now. No one is going to do it for you. You have to move you forward.
- Expect to fail and learn to enjoy it. You cannot build anything without failing.
Shopify (Get a 14-day FREE trial)
www.Shopify.com/misfit (all lowercase)
Five Minute Journal