This week’s Misfit Entrepreneur is John Mitchell. John is the founder of Think It Be It. John is an entrepreneur that went from averaging low 6-figures in business for 20 years to creating a $25 million per year business in just a few years. When I heard this story, naturally my question was, what changed? How did he increase his income 25 times in such a short time?
John did it by radically following the principles of the timeless classic, Think and Grow Rich. He discovered the Science of Success and put it to work. And he developed a system so that anyone can apply it. Today, his 12 Minute A Day methodology is recognized as the Top Application in the World of the Top Book in the World on success.
I brought him on the show to share exactly what he figured out and teaches others, so you can put to work in your life.
www.ThinkitBeit.com/ME (Free video and guide of John's Deep Thinking Process)
John started out as a CPA and at 30 decided that wasn’t the career he wanted, so over the next 20 years, he got into multiple different businesses. When he reached 50, he was not at the levels he aspired to be. He wanted to have enough money not to have to work and have the woman of his dreams and he was falling short on both. He did OK – making 6-figures a year, but he knew he needed to start making over million per year to reach his goals. He realized he had to change his 20-year history. So, he decided to find the top book in the world on success and apply it word for word to his life. That book was Think and Grow Rich.
He got it and read it cover to cover finding that there was a problem. The book said there was a secret for success, but it only gives you half of the secret and the reader has to figure the other half. It kind of bummed John out as he wasn’t sure where to go next. So, he decided to immerse himself further and during a 2-month period, he figured it out and a 12 minute a day process to apply it. He put it into effect in his business at the time and the income doubled and 4-years later he was netting $5 million.
He was operating at a higher level. He was more focused and more in control.
He sold his company and semi-retired but wanted to teach what he had learned to the world and that is what he has been doing. Even the University of Texas brought him on to teach it.
What did you figure out about Think and Grow Rich? What is the secret?
- The part the book gives you is that everything begins with a thought.
- John realized that the full secret is that “what you envision in detail on a daily basis is shows up in your life.”
- When you establish immense clarity of exactly the person you want to be, exactly what you want to accomplish, and precisely how you can achieve your clearly defined goals and then feed it to yourself in 12 minutes a day, you will succeed.
- After about 21 days of doing this, it starts influencing your unconscious daily actions and enhances them.
- This begins to create the life you want.
Thoughts on conditioning and how it impacts us – and how it can be changed?
- Think and Grow Rich is based on the fact that 95% of your daily actions are unconscious.
- We are all innately wired for survival and if 95% of our daily actions are unconscious, you are innately wired to be fear-based and negative.
- That is the opposite of who you need to be to be pro-active and successful.
- You have to override that programming.
- “The success of anyone’s life comes down to the cumulative effect of their daily actions.”
- You must then influence your daily actions. You do that by proactively influencing the subconscious mind.
How do people influence their subconscious mind?
- The way the human mind works is that the conscious mind sets the intention and is influenced by logic, but your daily actioned are influenced by the subconscious mind and only influenced by repetition.
- As an example – losing weight. The conscious mind sets the intention to lose weight. But that doesn’t make it happen. The subconscious is in control and is influenced only by repetition, so it the change in behavior reputation that helps someone lose weight.
Take us through the 12 Minute Methodology you’ve developed…
- First, you must create immense intention clarity about your life.
- You define exactly the person you want to be.
- You define exactly what you want to accomplish.
- You define exactly how you will achieve your clearly defined goals.
- You will live your life quarter by quarter and have your goals set in each area by quarter.
- Once you create your clarity, you feed it to yourself every day.
- Initially, the subconscious mind will reject it, but around the 21st day of doing it, the subconscious will begin to accept it and start to be reconditioned.
- Reading your template, you’ve created and visualizing it.
If someone implements this, what are the pitfalls they need to look out for, so they don’t fall back into the trap of the subconscious?
- People must be driven. If you are not driven, this process will not work. D
- arren Hardy gave Joh advice telling him that most people will not spend 12 minutes a day on this process. He must be selective and only work with driven people who will commit to it.
- People that are driven will do it.
Is it just a fact that people just do not have the desire and drive to better themselves or can they develop themselves to have it?
- At the 23 min mark, John tells more of his story and about his mother dying while he was going through finding himself.
- Go through the experience made him think about his life and whether he was living it at his true potential. He wasn’t and that spurred him.
- He was confusing working hard with working smart or being competent as an entrepreneur.
- It is very hard to change your drive and desire. It takes something dramatic.
- But the driven know who they are.
At the 27 min mark, John and I have a great conversation on beliefs and how it relates to drive. We also discuss more on the subconscious and awareness.
Talk to us about the deep-thinking you advocate…
- Set aside time to just think 2x per week.
- Pick which days per week you will do it.
- Pick your favorite place in your home or in nature.
- Each session should last 30 mins.
- Get a pad of paper (thinking tablet)
- Step 1: For the first 10 mins, let whatever come to you come, and write it down.
- Step 2: Figure out a question you will ask yourself and then write it down and answer it.
- Step 3: Write the 2-3 takeaways and 2-3 action steps you will do over the next week.
Go to www.ThinkitBeit.com/ME there is a video and guide on the process for you.
Is there anything else from your study of Think and Grow Rich that we should know?
- It works on everyone. It is based on pure science.
- But it is not for everyone.
- The hard work is creating the clarity.
Best Quote: The success of anyone’s life comes down to the cumulative effect of their daily actions.
Johns' Misfit 3:
- Don’t have an average life. If everyone else doing something, you should look at doing the opposite.
- Most things don’t matter. There are a few things you truly need to do great to give you the best outcome. Focus on those.
- Most people do not appreciate how precious life is. Take the time to appreciate it and if you are not happy, grab ahold and play the game at a higher level.
Shopify (Get a 14-day FREE trial)
www.Shopify.com/misfit (all lowercase)
Five Minute Journal